[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue May 12 03:08:05 EDT 2009

I realize now that I've neglected to give sufficient reasoning for why less
granular packaging would be a good thing.

I've noticed that there's a common theme in Zope development, software, and
packages that I can only describe as "power law development" or "turtles all the
way down".  It's a bit of an antipattern, unfortunately.

I'll provide an example by way of Zope-3-the-appserver.  In an application that
uses Zope-3-the-appserver, many individual subframeworks will be used.  For
example, there is a traversal subframework, a security subframework, a
cataloging subframework, and so on.

Each of these subframeworks acts as a logical unit, and through the magic of the
component architecture, each can be replaced wholesale by registering some
adapter.  However, each of these subframeworks tend to also have settings that
can be configured.  For example, individual traversal steps for certain types of
objects can be overridden by registering an adapter that *configures* the
subframework.  In the case of Zope 3, we have a traversal situation where the
larger traversal subframework can either be replaced wholesale via an adapter
registration or extended piecemeal via other adapter registrations.

The problem is that the mechanism to *replace* the subframework is the same as
the mechanism to *configure* it (both are done via adapter registration,
sometimes even in the same file).  This is theoretically fine.  But in reality,
it's tremendously hard for someone just walking up to a complex system like Zope
3 to discern adapter registrations that replace subsystems from those which
merely configure subsystems.  An inability to discern the difference leads to
situations where people just "don't get the joke" and try to wiggle wires to
configure-to-death a existing subsystem that's clearly suboptimal for their use
case instead of just replacing it wholesale with a much simpler custom policy.
They just don't know it was engineered to be replaced.  So they keep adding more
configuration code to the existing subframework to handle various 1% edge cases.
  Often this code makes the subframework tremendously complex, and the
subframework grows inappropriate dependencies along the way.  *Sometimes* the
situation gets so confusing for a new user, they just quit and go use something
else.

This is a pattern that happens over and over again in Zope development.  In my
personal opinion, the original error was trying to make the subframework
configurable at all.  Instead, the subframework should be replaceable easily,
but it should itself be relatively rigid.  At very least, for subframeworks that
really do require extra configuration (should be very few), this configuration
should be done via highly specialized ZCML directives (or grokkers), as opposed
to some very general adapter registration that can't be easily discerned from
other adapter registrations by a newbie.

If the subframeworks were more rigid (but replaceable), the *intent* of the
subframework author could be more easily discerned, and fewer people would fall
into the trap of adding more configuration code to a subframework instead of
just replacing it entirely.  And fewer people would just walk away in frustration.

What does this have to do with packaging?  Well, currently, there's a dizzying
number of packages that make up "the ZTK" (nee "Zope 3").  Each of these
packages is a pure peer of all others in a PyPI listing with no real way to get
a sense of their relative importance other than performing a linear audit.  Even
if a user *does* do a linear search of all of them, it's still awful hard to
discern for some new user which ones are "important", and which ones just happen
to exist by some inequity of history without trying to install it.  The user
needs to gain some holistic knowledge of the system in order to discern the
important bits from these historical inequities.

Most new users understandably just walk away from *all* Zope packages before
they gain this knowledge; it's just too hard for them to tell the difference
between the truly important and reusable bits and the stuff that just happens to
be packaged up and released but which is useless outside of some highly specific
context.  In effect, we just don't communicate *intent* very effectively in our
current packaging structure.

In my opinion, this is why a lot of Python developers who are otherwise very
smart have given up on trying to use Zope packages.  The time required to figure
out which ones are useful and which ones aren't is just too high.  It's way
"easier" for them to write them all off wholesale and just write what they need
from scratch or use somebody else's software.  Good developers tend to like
small, useful libraries and frameworks.

We can ameliorate the situation in a few ways:

- We can reduce the number of distributions.

- We can make each current Zope package distribution independently useful.

My suggestion is that we do the former first in order to communicate *current
intent* (the "state of reality right now").  We can do the latter after this in
pieces, hopefully aided by some new developers we've picked up by making it
easier to find useful stuff.

Once we deflate our current set of packages down to a reasonable number, the
packages listed in PyPI will immediately start to reflect "the state of reality
right now".  As a result, we'll hopefully be able to get some new blood in the
form of new developers that use the smaller bits outside Zope to help us tease
the truly independent pieces out of the larger pile.  If we do this, at no time
after the deflation will PyPI listings ever as badly advertise "the state of
reality" as it is advertised right now, and the community will hopefully again
start to grow.

- C