[Zope-dev] "ZTK" futures: one big package?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 14 10:40:33 EDT 2009

Hi there,

Patrick Gerken wrote:
[snip]
> I do not want to abuse you here as a support forum for pypi, but would
> it be possible to publish a new release, but without providing the
> distribution files?
> The intention would be, not the break the installations with pinned
> versions,

That would never happen anyway, unless you removed existing releases.

> but breaking attempts to get the newest versions, because the
> distribution files would be missing.

I believe buildout has an option to prefer final releases. If you
release a non-final release (beta, alpha) and people use this option
they won't get your version even if they do not use a list of pinned
versions. But that doesn't look like what you want.

> The people might then check the
> webpage of pypi, where the readme would state that the package has been
> discontinued and can be found in package x.y. As a next step, pypi might
> offer some way to ignore these packages in searches.

That's like what Chris suggested with a potential supersedes and
replaces metadata for packages in PyPI. PyPI doesn't really support this
yet.

I think you could simply release a package that issues a deprecation
warning when it's in use. That way people will know to look somewhere else.

Note that there's also work done on the test runner (don't know the
state, Christian Theune is working on it) that can report on improved
import locations for a codebase (if you were importing from
zope.app.component something that's now in zope.site, it will tell you).

Regards,

Martijn