[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.http/trunk/ - Replacedthedependency on zope.deprecation with BBB imports
faassen at startifact.com
Wed May 27 09:42:12 EDT 2009
Before we have this discussion yet again, I will record the official
stance in the zope toolkit decisions document, and I'll quote it here:
* When code moves to a new location to import it from (in the same or
another package), use a ``from foo import bar`` statement, with a
``#BBB`` comment to indicate the import is only there to support
In the CHANGES.txt of a package, state that an import location got
deprecated and where the new location is (making this a feature
release, not a bugfix release).
* it avoid a dependency on zope.deprecation, which is quite involved
in its implementation, using proxies.
* A ``from .. import ..`` is immediately comprehensible to any
Python programmer as well as tools.
* Deprecation warnings make it hard to write a library that supports
multiple versions of another library; a change in an indirect
dependency can create deprecation warnings that the original
developer does not care about.
* We are in the process of developing a testrunner extension that
will report on indirect imports, and a ZODB upgrade procedure.
Feel free to discuss it, either to add arguments to refine this, or to
attempt to overthrow this decision entirely.
More information about the Zope-Dev