[Zope-dev] RFC: Site -> Locus

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu May 28 10:50:02 EDT 2009

Roger Ineichen wrote:
[snip]
> The site offers a SiteManagementFolder, SiteManagerContainer
> and a LocalSiteManager.
>
> The SiteManagementFolder by default installed as ['default']
> is absolutly useless and obsolate since the last refactoring.
> It's just a container, earlier it was a kind of namespace.

Yes, with Grok we've been installing directly in the
SiteManagementContainer (which contains the folder, if I got my
terminology right). We can't just get rid of this though, as it would
break a lot of existing ZODBs.

[snip]
> Just refactoring zope.site and move the same packages arround
> because of dependencies is in my point of view the wrong
> thing. We need to define wich package will offer which parts
> of the hole site concept. otherwise it could be useless
> if at the end all packages get used together in 99% of all
> Zope projects.

Of course if we make such a separation each end needs to be useful for
something.

> What do you like to use independently from each other
> which is now assembled as a unit in zope.site?

One use case I have is that I want to be able to write tests that just
deal with site management without pulling in a lot. I have done this
with hacked up code now in both z3c.saconfig and hurry.custom.

The other use case I have is that I want to write packages that just
need to be able to set the site or get the site and shouldn't need to
care about, or depend on, zope.container at all.

Regards,

Martijn