[Zope-dev] improving the utility and adapter lookup APIs

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed Nov 25 11:54:53 EST 2009

Gary Poster wrote:

> FWIW, I'm saying that utilities and adapters are different.  I share your/Martijn's/other people's general thoughts about merging adapters and multiadapters in the interface __call__ syntax.

There might should be more obvious APIs for just *retrieving* an adapter based
on a set of interfaces; it's useful to be able to retrieve an adapter without
invoking it.  Currently this is possible via registry.adapters.loookup, which
is fine.

And I know it's heresy, but sometimes I register something as an "adapter" that
is not callable with the number of arguments I'm adapting it with.  Sometimes
its convenient to register something that gets adapted using a number of
arguments that doesn't match the adaptation arguments.

If some set of ZCA APIs made it the responsibility of the *caller* to invoke
the adapter with arguments would go a long way between normalizing the
difference between utilities and adapters (because they would essentially then
be the same thing).

- C