[Zope-dev] allow-picked-versions=false in ztk.cfg?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 07:26:17 EDT 2009

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hanno Schlichting wrote:

>>> Yes, +1 for moving it to the buildout.cfg.
>> If we do that, I'd also suggest we use the 'buildout.dumppickedversions'
>>  extension. This prints the picked versions with some explanation about
>> what required them, either to a file or to the console. This is a useful
>> sanity check: if you see a package in there that looks spurious you may
>> ask whether it should've been pinned somewhere.
>
> Running buildout in verbose mode (-v) gives you this same information.
>  Is the idea that this information gets printed even in normal mode?

Yeah:

  - it gets printed always, summarised at the end
  - it's a lot more concise than the -v output and easier to read
  - the output is usable as a [versions] block and can be output to a file

I use a pattern where I have a devel.cfg that pins some things but allow
certain dependencies to float, and then writes the versions it picks to
kgs.cfg. For production deployments, there's a production.cfg which
(among other things) extends this kgs.cfg.

The idea is that once we have a known good configuration in development,
we check that file into svn so we have a record, and make sure that
absolutely everything is pinned in production.

Martin