[Zope-dev] Subversion externals versus mirroring

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:02:04 EDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Christian Theune wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Same here. We also ended up in many deadlock situations having to
>>> sacrifice chickens for SVN to resume operations. That's why we
>>> started
>>> investigating alternatives which are better at branching and
>>> merging.
>>
>> Please keep up posted. We have a standing offer from Canonical to
>> host
>> our stuff in bzr. The move of the Python core developers to
>> mercurial is
>> also interesting.
>
> I've been impressed with TortoiseHg so far (after a few initial
> hiccups)
> and it looks like they're aiming to be cross platform with it, which
> is
> a pretty big draw, although the MacOS port isn't ready yet...
>
> How has TortoiseBzr progressed?

My understanding is that TortoiseBzr has largely withered on the vine
in favor of a new effort: BzrExplorer, based on Qt, and running on
Linux/Windows/Mac.

http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrExplorer

That page has links to lots of information.  The very little
information I have is based on those pages, so, for now, please look
there for now rather than asking me anything.

Once Bzr 2.0 comes out (in less than a month AIUI), I'll at least send
out a link to it and point out some changes made that specifically
address concerns raised by Zope Foundation members when I raised
Launchpad's/Canonical's offer before.  If there are any questions
then, I'll be happy to try to get answers.

Gary