[Zope-dev] official release policy ZTK is still not changed

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Sep 15 19:27:34 EDT 2009

Hi

> Betreff: Re: [Zope-dev] official release policy ZTK is still
> not changed

> Stephan Richter wrote:
> version.  Where
> >> -1
> >
> > -1 from me too. Having the previous version avoids having
> to look it
> > up in CHANGES.txt or the tags, which is really lame if you
> do lots of releasing.
>
> If you are making releases without having the CHANGES.txt
> open in your browser, then you need to put down the keyboard
> and back away slowly, so that nobody gets hurt.  Reviewing /
> correcting the changelog (and comparing it with a diff from
> the last release) should be a fundamental part of making a
> release.  At the very minimum, you're supposed to update the
> release date in the changelog, right?
>
> I *like* the property of the "0" strategy that it makes the
> job of releasing a package a little harder:  releaseing
> software should be a thoughtful, careful process, not
> something you do without a bit of hesitation and review.

I propose to delete the CHANGES.txt file after we tagged
the trunk. This will force people to carefully read all the
revisions till they will find the removed CHANGES.txt file
for restore them.

And of corse we should add a comit hook in subversion which
will not allow to tag a trunk without a CHANGES.txt file.

Hard enough?

just kidding,
Roger Ineichen