[Zope-dev] Zope 2.13 roadmap

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Thu Apr 1 09:50:50 EDT 2010

Am 01.04.2010, 15:30 Uhr, schrieb Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>:

> With Zope 2.12 BrowserView is basically done. You can now import the
> BrowserView class from zope.publisher.browser instead of the one from
> Five. But ZCML directives still use the Five class, to ensure code
> using fancy Acquisition magic continues to work.

So, if I don't need any of the acquisition I just go with
zope.publisher.browser? How about the configuration? Just use the adapter
directive?

> ViewPageTemplateFile is a very different beast. The page template
> machinery of Zope2 and zope.tal are different enough, that there's no
> easy upgrade path. The expression context ("here", "modules", ...),
> path traversal, restricted templates, ... there's enough subtle
> differences all over. I think it is more likely that applications like
> Plone will switch to Chameleon and adjust import paths to a chameleon
> specific package.

I think this is you speaking with different hats on. My view on Zope2's
roadmap would be to continue to move towards the zope.tales
implementation, deprecating as necessary. I don't see any difference
between Zope2 and Plone as to whether the actual implementation is
zope.tales or Chameleon. Replacing "here" with "context" in templates is
easy enough. That said, I did get pretty scared when I looked at the
implementation!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark