[Zope-dev] Segfault in zope.configuration

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Apr 2 09:15:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:29:06AM +0800, Martin Aspeli wrote:
> > I'd be reaching for python/expat debug symbols and gdb, probably.
>
> I'm not sure how to do that. My gdb fu is *very* limited.

Have you used pdb?  gdb is mostly the same.

gdb python ....

and when it crashes, type 'bt' at the (gdb) prompt.  The C stack trace
reads backwards when compared to Python tracebacks: the main function is
at the bottom, the innermost one at the top.

> I also assume
> I'd need to re-build python and/or expat for this?

Not necessarily.  Even bare gdb will tell you which library was it that
got the segfault.  If you want more, you can usually install debug
symbols for Python and libexpat into /usr/lib/debug and re-run gdb,
without having to rebuild your own python/libexpat.

I don't know about SLES.  I've tried Googling and only found
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Debuginfo which appears to be a page
for packagers, and links to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces
for end-user "how to get a useful stack trace" tutorial.

AFAICs if you have a 'debuginfo-install' command (part of yum-utils) on
your server, you should be golden.

Marius Gedminas