[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposed new style for documenting and testing ZTK packages

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha at bubblenet.be
Sun Apr 18 05:14:28 EDT 2010

On 17/04/10 23:20, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:

<snip>

>> - I can almost guarantee that any examples that aren't tested will be
>> wrong. I tried to do a good job on the bobo docs.  I made almost all
>> of the examples executable, and the ones I didn't had an amazing
>> tendency to have bugs.
>
> I'm not against having the snippets be executable, because I *do* want
> them to work.  I just don't want to encourage anyone to think that they
> are testing the software when they write the snippets, or execute them.

I second Martin: the sentence hereunder is worth its weight in gold.

(I wonder if this is an appropriate use of the translation of French
"valoir son pesant d'or")

>    Executing the snippets is testing the documentation, not the software.

>> - I agree that tests should be separate from documentation. You can
>> get some of your coverage from the docs, but you'll need tests for
>> edge cases and details not addressed by the docs.
>
> I would actually prefer to measure coverage (objectively) without
> reference to the snippets in the docs.

I think this would make a lot of sense.

> Having *all* the tests for a
> module in one place helps think more clearly about getting good
> coverage, both from the "lines executed" standpoint (which can be
> objectively measured) and from the "semantics enforced" standpoint,
> which can't.
 >

 > Tres.

With both unit and doc testing, we can get full "lines executed" coverage.

Because of the insulation enforced by our unit testing framework, this
can lead to better semantic coverage than with the dependent tests we
write when doc testing.

One of the reason that full "lines executed" coverage does not translate
to full "semantics" coverage is the presence of class attributes. In
fact, those attributes are holding "sub-global" state that multiplies
the number of combinations that should be tested.

I slowly have come to the idea that class attributes can be as bad as
global variables : they allow hidden dependencies between methods. This
is an insidious problem as class attributes look better until you are
told other.

A good sign that this problem is creeping in is when you need to write
complex setup in order to write method tests.

In other words, unit testing can be seen as a way of being warned early
of too many attributes in our classes.

PS: Hereabove, I speak only of the insulated semantics of each class.
This does not remove the need for integration tests which *try* to test
all interactions between those classes.
--
Godefroid Chapelle (aka __gotcha) http://bubblenet.be