[Zope-dev] Version bump question? Bikeshed here.

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Apr 30 16:10:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Fred Drake <fdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:
>> If it is intended to be backwards compatible and seems to be so, I'd
>> say go with 1.3. It sounds like a new package dependency, like we have
>> had many others in minor releases.
>
> Since when were new dependencies not considered features?

They are of course. In my vocabulary a version consists of major.
minor . micro (or patchlevel). Going from 1.2 to 2.0 is a major new
feature release. Going from 1.2 to 1.3 is a minor new feature release.
Package dependencies are a new feature and need a new feature release.
They cannot be done in "third-dot" or "bug fix" releases. But Lennart
didn't ask for that.

Hanno