[Zope-dev] Zope Tests: 72 OK, 7 Failed

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Sat Dec 11 17:39:23 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 12:17:10PM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On 12/11/2010 06:58 AM, Zope Tests Summarizer wrote:
>
> > Subject: FAILED : winbot / ztk_10 py_244_win32
> > From: buildbot at winbot.zope.org
> > Date: Fri Dec 10 16:01:43 EST 2010
>
> This one is weird, and has been broken for ever.  I have no idea how to
> fix it.

I looked into this one in October, but my email to zope-dev@ was perhaps
not very coherent, and I didn't have a clear solution.

The problem is that zope.testrunner is used to run zope.testing's tests.

  - there's a test (layers.txt) that calls zope.testing.testrunner's
    run_internal()
  - which at some point decides it needs to fork a subprocess
  - the subprocess runs bin/test, asking it to run a layer named
    zope.testing.testrunner.layer.UnitTests
  - but bin/test is not zope.testing.testrunner -- it's zope.testrunner,
    which names its unit test layer differently
  - so the unit test layer is not found and never gets run
  - and layers.txt fails

You can easily reproduce this on Linux as well, if you check out the 3.9
branch of zope.testing.

  (Actually I get four failures, not just one.  I think that's because
  some of those tests are disabled on the buildbot.  The other three
  failures are about pdb support.)

I see three possible approaches.

  1. If we could upgrade zope.testing to a latter version -- one that
     doesn't have zope.testing.testrunner any more -- the problem would
     go away.  But this is too backwards-incompatible to push into ZTK
     1.0.

  2. Perhaps we could change the ZTK testing tools to go back to using
     zope.testing.testrunner instead of zope.testrunner?  Then the
     problem would go away as well.

  3. Finally, maybe it would be possible to have
     zope.testing.testrunner's test setup create the right
     zope.testing.testrunner script somewhere so it's nested tests use
     itself instead of zope.testrunner.  Sounds like work...

Marius Gedminas
--
http://pov.lt/ -- Zope 3/BlueBream consulting and development