[Zope-dev] PyPy 1.4.1 and the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Dec 22 09:24:16 EST 2010

Hi there,

I thought it'd be interesting to note that PyPy 1.4.1 (with JIT) now
works out of the box with buildout (at least if I use the '-d' option
for distribute with bootstrap.py, but I suspect plain setuptools also
works). I actually added a few compatibility fixes to buildout the other
day that are now unnecessary: PyPy 1.4.1 adds the compatibility with
released versions of buildout out of the box.

This makes it possible to start testing some of the ZTK with PyPy. There
are challenges of course: certain packages, such as zope.interface, use
C extensions and would need to be installed in "plain-python" mode (if
available). The ZODB would definitely be an interesting challenge too.

One snag is that PyPy is only compatible up to Python 2.5. This might
make some of the code fail. Then again, if it's the 'with' statement the
fix is an "from __future__ import with_statement" away.

A release of PyPy with Python 2.7 support is still a while away, but
being worked on.

The benefit of using PyPy? It has a JIT on board, so that should speed
up some code significantly. Whether it'll speed up some of our tests is
hard to say though - the JIT might be more overhead than gain in that case.

Regards,

Martijn