[Zope-dev] Zope2 ZMI and HTML5

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Sat Feb 6 07:57:02 EST 2010

Am 05.02.2010, 15:43 Uhr, schrieb Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:

> Well, getting and iframe implementation with some really nice looking
> CSS would be cool, indeed. I don't even think you need to get rid of
> DTML for that.

I'd prefer to do without frames altogether and, to be honest, I don't know
why they've been kept in the specification. Presumably because in spite of
all the associated problems (a client is pondering the use of an https
iframe in an http page) they can bring a quick win without any "clever"
server side stuff. Unfortunately you can't just add a dash of CSS to the
rest.

Migrating from DTML to ZPT would add weight to the "dog food" argument and
should be fairly straightforward. ZPT came on the scene shortly after I
started playing with Zope and is one of the biggest reasons for me
sticking with it. The ZMI is probably the last big dependent of DTML in
Zope 2 so it would be nice to be able to remove that dependency for Zope
2. On a related issue that is close to my heart: ZSQL. I'm sure I read of
a related template (Smart Templates?) that would allow for minimal logic
for SQL (I never use the SQL specific extensions to DTML apart from
sqlvar) and similar languages but for the life of me I have not been able
to find a trace of this. Did I imagine it?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director