[Zope-dev] New Zope 3 name: BlueBream

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:17:13 EST 2010

Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

> On 05.01.10 08:36, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> +1. It puts the final nail in the Zope 3 coffin and allows a reborn
>> vampire to emerge from slumber.
>
> Ok, we all hate the damage that Zope 3 did and I have no problem to call
> one of the x Zope Webframeworks "Bluebream", but I would like to save
> the trademark from vanishing completely.
>
> What we have now are a bunch of Webframeworks built upon the ZTK. One of
> these frameworks is called Zope 2 for historical reasons. So if you tell
> the Zope story, you might end up with a story without a hero:

Maybe we'll go back to the future, so the framework is Zope and the
version number is 2. :-)

> We have the ZTK in the center and some other peripheral libraries and we
> have Grok, Zope2, Bluebream, BFG, bobo and Humpty Dumpty, all great
> frameworks. We can even call them Zope Frameworks, but where is Zope in
> this story? What is Zope?
 >
> Possible solution:
> If all of the ZTK is in the namespace zope someday, why don't we call
> the ZTK "Zope", as it seems to be the heart of all these webframeworks?

The Z in ZTK stands for Zope. It's not useful "on its own", though, so
calling it just "Zope" would be confusing as hell.

> Then we can tell a story where there are different cool webframeworks
> based on Zope (former ZTK) which is a well defined set of libraries to
> do component-based web-development.

Please, let's not make anything "former ZTK". That name is just starting
to stick.

Martin