[Zope-dev] shrinking the ZTK: a proposed solution

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 5 08:41:28 EST 2010

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hey Tres,
>>

>> Tres Seaver wrote:
>>
>>> You're kidding, right?
>> [snip]
>>> My self-interest?  Not really:  you are appealing to my altruism, in the
>>> fact that I care about the *broader* Zope community (broader than Zope2,
>>> Grok, Plone, or whatever.  Neither of my chosen platforms (Zope2, bfg)
>>> rely any longer on any of thsoe pacakages at all, which makes my direct
>>> interest in them exactly zero.
>> Basically we all worked together for a year. Now Zope 2 happens to be
>> done first moving off zope.app, so you're telling me f$%#%Q#k you, I
>> don't need you anymore, go away.
>
> That's not what he is telling you. I don't think he ever intentionally
> "worked together" to support zope.app* packages in any way. If anything,
> he may have had input into and interest in the "small ZTK" packages
> and/or direction, so his viewpoint has never changed.

Well, Zope 2 released with a smaller but present dependency on zope.app
some time ago. Those zope.app packages were at least until then relevant
to Zope 2 developers. If support for them had been dropped by someone
then, they would have had to pick up maintaining them themselves, if
they wanted to continue tracking the ZTK and give Zope 2 users an
upgrade path out of zope.app.

Whether they are still relevant today is harder to say as Zope 2 already
had some transition time behind it.

Regards,

Martijn