[Zope-dev] New Zope 3 name: BlueBream

Gustavo Rahal grahal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 6 07:13:25 EST 2010

Em Qua, 2010-01-06 às 07:45 +0530, Baiju M escreveu:
> Hi All,
>        Thanks to all those who participated in this discussion so far.
> I will try to make baby steps for the project.  So, for time being
> I will focus on the getting started story (which is somewhat ready)
> then documentation, a small website ( http://bluebream.zope.org )
> and before 1.0 release, an upgradation path from Zope 3.4 KGS.
>
> I am fine with calling the project as "Bream" for short, however "BlueBream"
> will remain.  But all the framework specific packages will remain in
> "zope" and "zope.app" namespaces.  May be we can think about "bream" as a
> namespace in future.
>
> I remember the days when I started contributing to Zope project.
> Zope developers were eagerly started looking at the larger Python
> community with cool technologies emerging out of it like
> WSGI, egg, Paste and other web frameworks.  As a first step
> for adoption, eggification of Zope 3 packages was in radar for many
> contributors.  I am glad that I was able to accelerate the project
> by creating a proposal:
> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-October/020858.html
> To further accelerate the eggification of "zope.app" packages,
> I implemented Jim Fulton's proposal:
> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2006-December/021352.html
> (BTW, This is the greatest appraisal I ever received from a FOSS community)
> With all the contributors effort, Zope 3 packages became more reusable
> by other projects.  But the "Zope 3" users were at a loss, they
> lost their main development discussion platform itself (zope3-dev list)
> and there was no releases.  Then Stephan Richter created Zope 3.4 KGS,
> that was a good move which helped the existense.
>
> For a sucessfull web framework, few packages maintained by
> people with different interest in not sufficient.  With "BlueBream"/"Bream",
> I hope we will be able to bring together the "framework" developer community
> again. I appreciate all your support for this project.
>
> Regards,
> Baiju M

As a new comer in zope community (a few months), I appreciate this move
as well. The new name can also be seen as a "excuse" for a stronger and
more meaningful statement: There is value in zope3 web app part and we
want to continue it's development regardless of the other projects.
Having read and recommended to many people "philiKON" zope3 book I felt
all the work put into building a coherent and stable web framework was
going away.
Philipp, please consider a "Web component Development with Bluebream" in
the future :)

P.S - As a ibm employee, there is already too much "blue" going on in my
day to day work :)
I would vote for "Bream" only.

Regards,

--