[Zope-dev] Where is the position of BlueBream in Zope ecosystem ?

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Jan 21 09:45:49 EST 2010

Everything Tres said I agree with.

I think it's useful for descriptions of Zope-related frameworks to include BFG
and other frameworks that use a small number of Zope technologies.  But I think
some distinction needs to be made between "the ZTK" and "some Zope packages".

In particular, I'm uncomfortable with descriptions of BFG that say it "depends
on the ZTK" because the current formal definition of the ZTK is what's in its
buildout include file, or at least its defined by the packages listed at
http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/releases/packages-trunk.html.

By this definition, BFG isn't (and will never be) a "ZTK consumer", because it
doesn't use 95% of those packages; however it is very much a bicycle repair kit
consumer.

So it seems like a good idea to explicitly distinguish the set of packages that
BFG uses from "the ZTK" by giving the bicycle repair toolkit a name and saying
that the ZTK depends on that, if only to give another "target point" in a
diagram that includes frameworks that don't use the entire ZTK.  "ZCA" seems
good enough to me, although I don't really care what it's called.

- C