[Zope-dev] Python 2.7 and the ZTK - three test failures

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 6 06:23:02 EDT 2010

On 07/06/2010 09:46 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 2010-7-5 23:08, Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> with Python 2.7 final being released, I ran the ZTK tests against it.
>>
>> zope.exceptions, zope.formlib and zope.proxy all have one test output
>> related failure.
>
> We seem to have a lot of problems with doctests breaking due to changes
> in exception formatting. Perhaps a policy to check exceptions using a
> try/except or self.assertRaises instead of relying on exact formatting
> would be useful?

I wish the Python developers saw the exception messages as a core part
of their interface, but I guess they won't.

While I acknowledge its fragility, I do like the way doctests express
exceptions quite a lot, so I'd prefer something that kept them like
that. We've used normalization in the past, so if core Python exception
messages changed I'd imagine more normalization could help again?

Anyway, since we've only had a few test failures the problems with
changing message formatting seems to be limited, right?

Regards,

Martijn