[Zope-dev] Help review #181754

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed Jul 21 03:17:07 EDT 2010

On 2010-7-21 07:32, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> * Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>  [2010-07-20 19:28]:
>> On 2010-7-20 18:15, Christian Theune wrote:
>>> At least, WRT this bug, I don't think it's a good idea to ask explicitly
>>> for bad requests to go to the application as the test layer should model
>>> real server behaviour as closely as possible. And again it wouldn't make
>>> sense anyway as you can't pass an unparsable request to the application.
>>
>> I'm not sure I agree. Like everything else servers have bugs, so it
>> can't hurt to test how your application would behave given certain
>> server bugs.
>
> I don't think it is usually a productive assumption that lower layers
> fail to uphold their end of the contract. Maybe an
> extrapolation/hyperbole illustrates my opinion: Cosmic rays might also
> flip bits in your computer's RAM or disk, but I don't think it's
> worthwile to test how your application reacts when the python
> interpreter (or whoever, really) presents it with mangled data
> structures or objects or whatnot.

And for some situations you do want to explicitly test for such things.
It all depends on how critical your app is. I'm not sure I'm not the
only one who has tested code with randomly broken/bit-flipped input to
test robustness.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.