[Zope-dev] Zope 2.13 - next steps

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Jun 13 08:47:05 EDT 2010

Hi Charlie,

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Charlie Clark
<charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> wrote:
> thanks for the information. I'm a little confused by the narrative - is
> Plone 4.0 being held back by a Zope 2 release?

No, Plone 4 is delayed for all the normal reasons of too many open
bugs caused by the massive amount of changes it has seen. But Plone 4
being delayed also delays the next major Plone (5) release.
Traditionally Plone has only upgraded to new major Zope versions in
its own major versions.

> As I don't use Plone I
> don't care about its release status and I don't think it should drive
> Zope's release status. Maybe that's what you were saying and I didn't
> understand it correctly.

The Zope 2 release schedule has for some time now effectively been
synced to match the Plone release schedule. We have seen what happens
with a Zope 2 release that isn't used in Plone with the Zope 2.11
release. It's not seen much of any maintenance and has only caused
extra effort, as we were forced to maintain multiple branches for a
longer time. As I said back in March, I want to avoid any Zope 2
release that isn't directly picked up by Plone. This is also the
reason why I briefly discussed the roadmap with some people in the
Plone community - to get buy-in on the idea and then made a proposal
to this list.

Hanno