[Zope-dev] Summary of today's developer meeting

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Mar 2 13:09:53 EST 2010

Hi there,

 > Chris McDonough suggests to ponder further structuring of the ZTK into
 > separate sub-sets which might allow us to get better mileage regarding
 > maintenance and release management. He gave the example of the
 > "Bicycle Toolkit" (zope.component, zope.configuration,
 > zope.interface).

-1

We already have had issues with people changing things in ztk.cfg that
broke things in zopeapp.cfg, because they don't want to test it. If we
were to split things further, we'll see more breakage and more
integration issues as people won't bother to test even less.

For now, just see the extra packages as the ultimate in compatibility
tests and run them please.

Furthermore, the bicycle toolkit is the only candidate for such
splitting up right now; other groupings don't seem to be well defined.
Finally, people who want fine grained already have the ultimate in
fine-grained in the form of individual releases.

Maybe next year.

Regards,

Martijn