[Zope-dev] Zope2: Reducing C dependencies

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Mar 30 10:56:09 EDT 2010

Hi.

For Zope 2.13 (trunk) I'd like to try to reduce the C dependencies of
the Zope2 distribution itself. Ideally it would not have any C
dependencies in its own distribution, but that's a bit too much for
now.

As a next step I'd like to split out the initgroups, Missing,
MultiMapping, Record and ThreadLock packages into their own
distributions. The code in these hasn't changed in years and I don't
see this changing anytime soon.

If this is done the remaining C libraries are in AccessControl,
DocumentTemplate and ZCTextIndex. AccessControl has a reference
implementation in Python and could the C library could be made an
optional optimization. The ZCTextIndex okascore.c and stopper.c should
also be relatively easy to do as Python implementations.

DocumentTemplate has a pDocumentTemplate.py module as a reference
implementation, which clearly states that it is outdated. This would
need to be updated to match the C implementation.

Hanno