[Zope-dev] Hanno, please update the ZTK

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon May 3 11:27:54 EDT 2010

Alex Clark wrote:
> On 2010-05-03, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
>> If we're going to make cheap shots: that's still a lot faster than the
>> grok release cycle.
>
> Guys, please, this is like watching your parents fight ;-) Can't we all just
> get along? :-)

I can't. I think I've contributed a lot to this community, I've tried to
be fair and work out differences and make compromises. It wasn't easy.
You'd think it'd get you some respect and trust. Then, when it came down
to it, instead of respect, trust and a willingness to cooperate (and
yes, I think I've tried to do all of that myself; I don't think I'm a
hypocrite on this), I got a fork. Thanks guys.

So I stepped down, as obviously people weren't willing to work with me.
I tried to stay out of zope-dev for the last 4 months, as it just gets
on my nerves now.

But the fork continues. I see it in the checkins messages. It's causing
me extra things to worry about - the new releases don't get tested with
all the libraries in the ZTK, and I use other libraries in the ZTK. It's
just so stupid, too. So unnecessary and counterproductive.

But like it or not (I don't really like it much right now, to be
honest), I still a user of the ZTK. I contribute to it. So I think that
means I get to make suggestions and complain when I want to. That's how
it works in an open source project. The leadership, whoever they are,
will just have to deal with it. But forgive me when I don't feel
particularly inclined to spare anyone's feelings. Even when I was trying
to do that, I think I stepped on enough toes anyway, so why bother?

> As someone looking in from the outside (Plone), and hoping
> to become more active in the Zope community in the future, I
> wonder what it's going to take to restore some harmony and
> direction in here? It seems like I've been reading various
> flames for months now.

I don't know. It'd help if people tried to work with each other instead
and give each other a bit of credit, instead of fork or do whatever
Wichert did in this thread (yeah, I know I'm in this thread too and
doing the wrong stuff too. But Wichert, you're just not being
constructive at all here, sorry). But I tried that and it didn't really
work, so I am trying something else. That is, I think it *did* work (the
ZTK is there, it's made a lot of progress), but it didn't work for *me*.

> To put things in perspective, for folks in here who may be "too close to it",
> the Zope ecosystem is *really* starting to shape up IMO (i.e. leaving the
> Zope 3 confusion in the past, etc.). I think I understand it now (after years
> of study), and can actually explain it to others! So let's try to keep up the
> *great* work and let the "little things" slide…

It's not been a little thing to me, sorry. It felt like a big thing that
didn't slide off but steamrollered over me. I now have four months
distance from it and I'm still wounded by it.

Sure, there are a lot of good things going on. I think it's great what
BlueBream is up to. And Hanno's doing all kinds of good work; I'm happy
to acknowledge that. And last week we finally decoupled Grok from most
of the zope.app.* packages. I'm pretty happy about that, too.

But as a group we aren't very good at treating people who attempt to
lead for the good of the group. And seriously, you can't replace
leadership with bureaucracy and do as well.

Regards,

Martijn