[Zope-dev] Zope Tests: 10 OK, 4 Failed, 2 Unknown

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 3 20:34:06 EDT 2010

Christophe Combelles wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting a écrit :
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
>>> Breakage in the following packages, but only on Python 2.4, and only in
>>> doctests:
>>>
>>> - - zope.browserpage
>>> - - zope.viewlet
>>> - - zope.contentprovider
>>> - - zope.deferredimport
>>>
>>> At least the first one is due to doctests not exposing an '__file__' in
>>> their faux-module globals under 2.4.  We might need to add Lennart's
>>> monkeypatch under 2.4, or else drop 2.4 support altogether.
>> Hhm. I'm inclined to drop 2.4 support here. Using a zope.testing that
>> tries to be compatible all the way from 2.4 to 3.1 is quite a bit of a
>> stretch.
>
> Unless I missed something, the ZTK was globally compatible with Python2.4
> recently, wasn't it?  Do we want the latest changes and Lennart's work to be
> part of the ZTK 1.0?

I recall a general consensus that we would be officially supporting
Python 2.5 and 2.6, and that we wouldn't deliberately break Python 2.4
without good reason.  A spacial exception was for zope.interface,
zope.component, zope.configuration, and their dependencies:  because
they were already in much wider use outside traditional Zope projects,
Python 2.4 compatibility for the "bicycle seat toolkit" package subset
was identified as being *more* important than the ZTK as a whole:

At this point, Lennart's work has been aimed at increasing "forward"
compatibility with Python >= 3.1.x:  I believe that trading away 2.4.x
compatibility in order to get 3.1.x compatibility is a sane choice.

> If not, the svn branches used for the ZTK 1.0dev should be updated to point to a
> maintenance branch. (I suppose it's our job)

Before you go down that road, I would argue that somebody needs to speak
up who actually needs the whole ZTK (and zopeapp) to run on Pythonn 2.4.
 In particular, this means somebody who has an existing application
which *both* requires staying on Python 2.4 *and* expects to be updated
to use ztk.cfg and / or zopeapp.cfg, rather than a project-specific KGS
or index.  Note that I believe the intersection of those two sets is
very likely empty at this point.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com