[Zope-dev] Zope2 - Breaking out more packages

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon May 17 15:47:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> - Move Shared.TaintedString to an external distribution.
>
> +1 for putting it into AccessControl.

Yeah, makes most sense I guess. It's just one file after all.

>> - Move the ZMI parts of AccessControl into the App package. App
>> already holds a good deal of general ZMI pages, so this seems a good
>> fit. It basically makes App the zope.app of Zope2.
>
> +1 for the generic "security tab" stuff.  I'm not so sure about anything
> related to the userfolder, though, unless moving it is a huge win.  Hmm,
> you must have wrestled with that already, no?

The ZMI functionality needs DTMLFile, App.MessageDialog and a couple
more of things from App. We could introduce another package that holds
the ZMI screens, but that feels like over-abstraction to me. It's not
like anyone really would want to use AccessControl's ZMI screens
without having App around. I admit App would get to be a bit of a
dumping ground :)

> Before trying the latter, we need to triple check that the zope.index
> stuff hasn't bitrotted, or lost / missed any features from the Z2 version.

Sure. Shane and Chris have done some of that work for the C code
already, that's why I'm considering it at all.

> BTW, making *all* the products seaparate eggs seems like a good plan to me.

Generally yes. But they need to be actually independent first. There's
a good deal of imports in all directions or usage of Testing and such.
We can clean them up one after another and break them out after they
are clean.

Thanks for the feedback,
Hanno