[Zope-dev] ZTK release team - kickoff meeting - delayed summary

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue May 18 09:49:09 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I've been slacking and forgot to post the summary of the first ZTK
release team meeting.

Here it is. I'll put it into SVN into the ztk-docs area as well.

Cheers,
Hanno

ZTK meeting - 2010-05-06
========================

Attendance
----------

ccomb, j-w, hannosch

Agenda
------

- No fixed agenda, this is a kick-off meeting.

Discussion

Our role

- We see ourselves as representatives of communities that make use of the ZTK
- We should ensure stable releases of the ZTK, which are useful to our projects
  not more and not less

Release outcome

- Should produce a http://download.zope.org/ztk/release/1.1 with a ztk.cfg in
  it and a the zopeapp.cfg (for as long as it exists) in it.
- Nice to have: an index (for easy_install people)
- Should have some documentation site stating changes
  (http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/releases/overview-trunk.html)

Release policies

- At first manual releases (x.y.Z), automate the process to generate the bugfix
  releases later. We need to make sure to release only versions sets for which
  all tests passed.

- ztk x.y.z. releases, stable package list per release

- a ztk minor release per month would be ok

- a ztk major release "when one of the consumers projects needs it".

- backward compatibility breaking only happens in X.y.z that means, if we have
  a zope.component 4.0.0, it will be part of ZTK 2.0 or 3.0

- generally upstream releases happen in a 6-12 month interval, so the same
  timeline makes sense for ZTK releases

Tasks
-----

- We want 64bit Linux and Windows tests for the ZTK. j-w is bugging janjaap to
  create those. Maybe contact ccomb for adding slaves to "afpy" [j-w]

- Make sure we have a buildbot testing the ZTK releases (and not SVN) [ccomb]

Open points

- Look at Tres's list of packages in all three frameworks, decide on a way to
  drop things from the initial ZTK set and on a process for the future.

- Look at and update http://docs.zope.org/zopetoolkit/about/coreextra.html for
  adding/removing policies, probably have a deprecated.cfg file

- Decide on process for new feature versions and the process for going from
  1.1.0 alpha to a final

Next meeting