[Zope-dev] (re)moving browser subpackage from zc.catalog?

Michael Howitz mh at gocept.com
Wed Oct 6 02:08:55 EDT 2010

Am 05.10.2010 um 20:21 schrieb Jan-Wijbrand Kolman:
> Hi,
>
> Today I fixed a small bug in zc.catalog (the ftesting.zcml depended on a
> permission name that has been removed from zope.dublincore).

Actually the permission has been renamed (from zope.app.dublincore to zope.dublincore)  to get rid of the "app" part in its name.

> This made
> me realize that zc.catalog contains ZMI code in the browser subpackage.
>
> Are people still using this ZMI code from zc.catalog? Would it be an
> idea to move the ZMI code out of the package (a bit similar to how
> various zope.app.* package have been refactored)? It would make
> maintaining this package in respect to the ZTK easier.

zc.catalog has only test dependencies on zope.app.* packages.
So you do not install these dependencies when using zc.calalog as a library.
The zope.app.* dependencies might need a bit polishing. But I do not see a big win moving the browser part into a separate package. Especially as zc.catalog should depend on this new package for backward compatibility reasons (at least for a while).

Yours sincerely,
--
Michael Howitz · mh at gocept.com · software developer