[Zope-dev] zc.buildout/buildout.org down -> disaster

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Tue Oct 12 11:20:44 EDT 2010

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>> sorry - wrong answer. This is a stupid misbehavior of setuptools
>> or zc.buildout. The zc.buildout package are hosted on PyPI and PyPI
>> was available. There is no reason for whatever component
>> to connect to buildout.org and fail without taking PyPI into account.
>
> Are you sure you used the latest distribute release? I hadn't had any
> problem at all during that whole time.

This was a Plone 4.0.1 buildout so I guess it was 0.6.14
(can't check right now). Also numerous people complained
on IRC having the same problem (at least related to Plone 4
buildouts - not sure about problems with Plone 3 buildouts)

> It sounds like 0.6.13 should help here which includes:
>

> Which was the merge of jarn.setuptoolsfixer into the distribute
> codebase. That package is obsolete for more than a year now.

Well - obviously there is likely still something wrong
(in Distribute).

But wait....this problem persisted even after releasing
zc.buildout 1.5.2 (with 'url' pointing to pypi.python.org).
So there must be something else.

Wild guess:

pypi.python.org/simple/zc.buildout

contains a file

1.5.0 home_page

file pointing to buildout.org

Perhaps there is some unhandled edgecase in Distribute?
No idea - I don#t have much insight in setuptools/Distribute.

Andreas