[Zope-dev] ZTK TTW Content Types Project Wiki

Georges Racinet georges at racinet.fr
Wed Sep 8 14:16:29 EDT 2010

Hey guys,

first post on this list since circa 2005… Hope you're doing well.

It's almost funny to see that there's still some debate on that subject.
Like most things in our industry it is kind of cyclic : 10 years ago TTW
was probably the new cool thing, then it became evil for lots of good
reasons.

Two cents on that topic.

 1. nobody speaks exactly of the same thing while debating about TTW.
This is a bit true in particular in the discussion fragment cited below.
Besides, should I recall that conditions tend to be different in time,
space, and application ?

 2. Here's my attempt to obtain a correct statement taking 1. into account:
    """Given the current application management and hosting trends that
are all over the place in my country for the kind of industrial
installations I happen to maintain (mostly Zope 2 for now), I see that
some kind of really well controlled TTW customization is a need, more
than ever."""
Too bad if that's advocating TTW, heh.

Oops, that made a bigger second cent than I'd imagine.

Anyway, the problem is much more general than just TTW, and we could
speak of the nightmares of TTMail, TTUsbkey and TTBlindSysAdmin. I just
hope we can have a really well done DVCS integration at some point to
solve the big problem of tracking configuration, live emergency
patching. Ever heard of that ?
Eventually, I would be happy to code something like that, but since I'd
like to use it, It'd be in a context that not many people care about
(Zope 2.9 only, to begin with)

Cheers,

--
Georges Racinet, http://www.racinet.fr
Zope/CPS expertise, assistance & development