[Zope-dev] lxml dependency in Zope 2.12.10 KGS

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 09:17:51 EDT 2010

On 10 September 2010 14:04, Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com<optilude%2Blists at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > The Zope 2.12.10 KGS at
> > http://download.zope.org/Zope2/index/2.12.10/versions.cfg specifies
> >
> >  lxml = 2.2.6
> >
> > There is no Python 2.6 Windows build for this egg, which means that this
> > version cannot be installed on Windows under Python 2.6. Version 2.2.4 is
> > the latest version with safe binary eggs for all platforms.
>
> This is unfortunate, but really a problem for the lxml community and
> not us. So the lxml community cannot keep up with providing binary
> Windows eggs.  This cannot force us to stick with old and buggy
> versions of the software.

Well... the problem, apparently, is that libxml2 doesn't (or didn't?) have
suitable Windows binaries, or so I'm told.

I'm also not sure the bug fixes in 2.2.5 onwards are very important in a
Zope context, since they seem to deal with Python 3 compatibility mainly.

> > What in Zope depends on lxml? Why did we pin to 2.2.6?
>
> 2.2.6 was the latest stable version available at the time of the
> release. 2.2.7 had known problems with newer libxml2 versions, but I
> see there's a 2.2.8 out now, which we should update to.
>
> I'm not sure about the actual dependency situation. I think it's more
> or less a convenience pin, as lxml is used very often in Zope related
> projects. We provide a known good version for it in the Zope Toolkit
> KGS for the same reason.

This sounds wrong to me.

If we *are* going to use a convenience pin, then surely the ability to
install on the world's most-used operating system has to be part of the
convenience. ;-)

If we don't use it, we shouldn't pin it, IMHO. We found this problem because
the Zope KGS was overriding another KGS where we had pinned lxml to 2.2.4. I
don't think Zope has any business getting in the way of that.

Martin