[Zope-dev] lxml dependency in Zope 2.12.10 KGS

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Sep 10 09:26:50 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we *are* going to use a convenience pin, then surely the ability to
> install on the world's most-used operating system has to be part of the
> convenience. ;-)

That's a lame argument. Windows is almost irrelevant for the market we
are in - web server deployments. Our own community is barely able to
keep up providing the most basic Windows support and ensuring tests
pass. As long as we don't have more community volunteers actually
caring about Windows support, I won't let it be an argument to
penalize the rest of the community.

> If we don't use it, we shouldn't pin it, IMHO. We found this problem because
> the Zope KGS was overriding another KGS where we had pinned lxml to 2.2.4. I
> don't think Zope has any business getting in the way of that.

The KGS is a base KGS you can use. Nobody forces you to stick to it.
In fact for every single deployment of your own you will need to
extend it. I don't see a problem with the few people using Windows and
not installing compilers on their platforms to change one version pin.

Hanno