[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposal for merging jbohman-zope.registry branch of zope.component
tseaver at palladion.com
Tue Aug 16 22:50:42 EDT 2011
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
The focus of the 2011 Pyramid GSoC project has been to port crucial
Pyramid dependencies to Python3:
At the end of this year's US PyCon, Lennart Regebro labelled
zope.component as "high-hanging fruit", due to the following factors::
- - "magic"
- - Mostly tested via doctests
- - "Hairy" dependencies (e.g., zope.proxy, zope.security)
- - Many more optional / testing dependencies (ZODB3, zope.schema,
Based on IRC discussion at project kickoff, Joel Bohman, one of the
two Pyramid GSoC students, has tackled this issue by factoring
zope.component into two pieces:
- - Joel has moved the core registry bits into a new 'zope.registry'
package, now hosted in the Zope SVN repository:
Notes on the new package:
- The tests in this package have been converted to standard unit
tests: they all pass on Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2.
- The "hairy" and optional / testing dependencies drop out:
zope.registry depends only on zope.interface and zope.event.
- - Joel made zope.component depend on zope.registry in a branch:
This branch leaves BBB imports intact.
On bahalf of Joel and the Pyramid GSoC project, I would like to propose
the following changes to the ZTK trunK:
- - Land 'zope.registry' as a full ZTK package, with its own Launchpad
artifacts, etc. This step may also involve moving bugs from
zope.component to zope.registry.
- - Merge the 'jbohman-zope.registry' branch of zope.component to the
trunk, and bump its minor version accordingly.
- - Cut releases of both packages.
Once done, the remaining work to port zope.component should be smaller
(much of the "magic" bits are now in zope.registry). We will update
pyramid to use zope.registry in place of zope.component.
Tres Seaver +1 540-429-0999 tseaver at palladion.com
Palladion Software "Excellence by Design" http://palladion.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Zope-Dev