[Zope-dev] zope.server still used?

Brian Sutherland brian at vanguardistas.net
Tue Dec 20 08:20:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 08:08:36AM +0100, Wolfgang Schnerring wrote:
> * Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> [2011-12-18 03:57]:
> > Is zope.server still largely used by e.g. bluebream, grok, and other
> > zope 3 apps?  Or do people tend to use other WSGI servers instead?
>
> We're using zope.server on several Zope 3 projects (that were begun
> before grok or WSGI or anythin existed ;), and it's *ahem* serving us
> just fine, no hiccups, no nothing, just doing its job.
>
> (We, too, see the occasional "broken pipe" error in our logs like Marius
> mentioned, I think that's due to requests that were aborted client-side,
> thus more an annoyance than anything.)
>
> On the other hand, we still haven't found a WSGI server we're happy with
> for deployment (as opposed to development). Paster has been known to
> randomly die on us (yup, I've only got anecdotes and nothing hard and
> fast, sorry), and the whole area of daemon management, logging,
> logrotation and so forth (not to mention buildout integration) seems not
> as advanced as we've come to know. What do people use here, what are
> your experiences and ideas?

We've been using mod_wsgi for many moons. It's certainly very stable
with piles of features for managing applications.

Right now we're thinking about moving to Twisted because some bits of
the application are asynchronous and already written on Twisted. It
simplifies things to only have one daemon running everything.

--
Brian Sutherland