[Zope-dev] PAS and AccessControl bug?

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:11:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

I found this code in PAS, which is mostly lifted from AccessControl.userfolder:

def _getObjectContext( self, v, request ):

        """ request -> ( a, c, n, v )

        o 'a 'is the object the object was accessed through

        o 'c 'is the physical container of the object

        o 'n 'is the name used to access the object

        o 'v' is the object (value) we're validating access to

        o XXX:  Lifted from AccessControl.User.BasicUserFolder._getobcontext
        """
        if len( request.steps ) == 0: # someone deleted root index_html

            request[ 'RESPONSE' ].notFoundError(
                'no default view (root default view was probably deleted)' )

        root = request[ 'PARENTS' ][ -1 ]
        request_container = aq_parent( root )

        n = request.steps[ -1 ]

        # default to accessed and container as v.aq_parent
        a = c = request[ 'PARENTS' ][ 0 ]

        # try to find actual container
        inner = aq_inner( v )
        innerparent = aq_parent( inner )

        if innerparent is not None:

            # this is not a method, we needn't treat it specially
            c = innerparent

        elif hasattr(v, 'im_self'):

            # this is a method, we need to treat it specially
            c = v.im_self
            c = aq_inner( v )

        # if pub's aq_parent or container is the request container, it
        # means pub was accessed from the root
        if a is request_container:
            a = root

        if c is request_container:
            c = root

        return a, c, n, v

Look at this bit again:

        elif hasattr(v, 'im_self'):

            # this is a method, we need to treat it specially
            c = v.im_self
            c = aq_inner( v )

In AccessControl, it's similar:

        elif hasattr(v, 'im_self'):
            # this is a method, we need to treat it specially
            c = v.im_self
            c = getattr(v, 'aq_inner', v)

Surely, this isn't right? What is the correct thing to do here?

Martin