[Zope-dev] Zope 2: specifying Zope2 dependency

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Jan 11 14:05:31 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Charlie Clark
<charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu> wrote:
> Am 04.01.2011, 14:25 Uhr, schrieb Hanno Schlichting <hanno at hannosch.eu>:
>
>> With the current roadmap, we'll
>> likely be able to stop using Zope 2.12 in 6-9 months altogether.
>
> I've given this some thought: as long as Python 2.5 is the default install
> on Debian-based systems, as it currently is, you can't really go beyond
> Zope 2.12. This was the reason why support for Python 2.5 wasn't dropped
> for the ZTK > 1

Python 2.5 isn't supported by Zope 2.12 either (it is by ZTK 1.0 and
1.1). In fact there's no currently supported Zope 2 release that
supports Python 2.5 (apart from the volunteer security support for
2.11/2.10 by some community members). And it's not only missing
support claims, the code just doesn't work anymore in all cases.

In all the hosting environments where we use Debian, we installed
backports of Python 2.6. That's the price you pay for using a very
stable distro for fast moving web stuff.

Hanno