[Zope-dev] direction

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Jul 5 04:42:30 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Tobias Helfrich <Helfrich at know-it.net> wrote:
> OK, so you do think that we might use Zope 2.12 for a quite long time
> without thinking about anymore updates? Will there be any security
> updates for Zope 2.12 in the future?

You want to use Zope 2.13. 2.12 is at the end of its active
maintenance cycle as is Python 2.6 (the only Python version it
supports).

Zope 2.13 brings support for Python 2.7, which is a long-term
maintenance release.

How long Zope 2.13 is going to be supported and sees security fixes
will depend on the community. The Plone community will use it for its
4.1 and 4.2 releases, as a result of our security policy that should
result in us supporting Zope 2.13 for the next two years. Beyond that
nobody knows what will happen.

> Now i am completely shocked. We are building web applications for
> the last 6 years in Zope 2.x. All those applications are using the
> following techniques:

[snip]

What you are describing is exactly what I meant by old legacy Zope2
applications.

You should be able to use this style of development with Zope 2.13.
But you won't be able to upgrade to newer versions of Zope 2 anymore
and expect your code to work unmodified. We discouraged this style of
development for the past six years. It should come as no surprise that
it will come to an end at some point.

Hanno