[Zope-dev] z3c.form missing *.mo files?

Michael Howitz mh at gocept.com
Tue Jul 12 09:07:47 EDT 2011

Am 12.07.2011 um 13:39 schrieb Adam GROSZER:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:36:12 +0300 you wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 01:09:14PM +0200, Adam GROSZER wrote:
>>> What's the paxis, should gettext mo files be included in the eggs?
>>
>> I've no idea what "paxis" is, nor whether there should be .mo files in
>> z3c.form's sdist.
>>
>> I've made a z3c.form bugfix release yesterday using zest.releaser from a
>> fresh svn checkout.  If there are additional steps required for making a
>> release, and my lack of knowledge of those renders the 2.4.4 sdist
>> somehow incomplete, I will gladly perform release a fixed 2.4.5 as soon
>> as someone tells me what those extra steps are.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marius Gedminas
>
> No worries, huh, I don't want to blame you...
>
> I'd say the mo files should be available in the sdist, otherwise you
> don't really have a chance to compile those.

There where never .mo files in z3c.form's sdist. (I think because .mo file are compiled files like .pyc files which are not included as well.)

To get the .mo files compiled at runtime you need the following variables in os.environ:

os.environ['zope_i18n_compile_mo_files'] = 'True'
os.environ['zope_i18n_allowed_languages'] = 'de,en'

(You might replace 'de,en' with the languages you need :)

Additionally you need to depend on the package 'python-gettext' which contains the compiler.

Sadly this is only documented in the source code of zope.i18n.compile and and zope.i18n.config.

Yours sincerely,
--
Michael Howitz · mh at gocept.com · software developer
gocept gmbh & co. kg · Forsterstraße 29 · 06112 Halle (Saale) · Germany