[Zope-dev] z3c.form missing *.mo files?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Jul 12 09:17:22 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Michael Howitz <mh at gocept.com> wrote:
> To get the .mo files compiled at runtime you need the following variables in os.environ:
>
> os.environ['zope_i18n_compile_mo_files'] = 'True'
> os.environ['zope_i18n_allowed_languages'] = 'de,en'
>
> (You might replace 'de,en' with the languages you need :)
>
> Additionally you need to depend on the package 'python-gettext' which contains the compiler.
>
> Sadly this is only documented in the source code of zope.i18n.compile and and zope.i18n.config.

The above is one approach I ported to zope.i18n from Plone's
PlacelessTranslationService. I think it's only documented in
Plone-level documentation.

You can also integrate the compilation into your build process and use
the gettext tools to do this:

msgfmt --no-hash -o folder/locales/en/LC_MESSAGES/domain.mo
folder/locales/en/LC_MESSAGES/domain.po

The --no-hash isn't required, but makes the files a bit smaller by
removing some data structures not used by Python's gettext
implementation. It also makes sure the files are identical to those
compiled with python-gettext.

Hanno