[Zope-dev] Anyone want to do Google Summer of code mentoring for PSF?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Mar 20 09:46:31 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still in Atlanta, and Arc Riley asked for a Zope person to
> possibly mentor some zope.* project for Python Software Foundation
> this year.

Here's another idea.

Problem
=======

ZTK projects use ZCML too much.  Ideally, ZCML should only
have to be used when we want to override something.

Solution sketch
===============

I think we ought to come up with a much cleaner way of defining
default configuration. (Pyramid does this by passing default values in
adapter calls, but I think we can do a lot better than that.)  I'd
like to see us come up with a "pythonic" way to wire components up
that can be overridden through registration (through zcml or
otherwise).  Ideally, the mechanism shouldn't "feel" like
"configuration" but like "programming".

Note that the default configuration should provide a sort of a
baseline you get by importing the module that defines it.  Today, we
typically treat an empty component registry as the baseline, but this
new default configuration mechansim should define a baseline.  How
this happens and it's rules need to be worked out.

Note that when I mention "rules" in the previous paragraph, it's
because I think there need to be rules that limit the mechanism. For
example, the baseline wiring should not depend on import order,
meaning that one module should nor be able to override another
module's default configuration.

I would be interested in mentoring this project.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton