[Zope-dev] Anyone want to do Google Summer of code mentoring for PSF?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sun Mar 20 11:03:33 EDT 2011

On 3/20/11 16:00 , Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Jim Fulton<jim at zope.com>  wrote:
>> - The mechanism shouldn't require something to "grok"/analyze the
>>   code.  The mechanism should be explicit. This is implied by
>>   "pythonic".  I remember Grok being more implicit than skimming the
>>   links above suggest. Perhaps Grok has has become more explicit than
>>   I remember.
>
> Both Grok and Pyramid (or martian and venusian really) do a scan of
> the code to find the registration hints.

Pyramid only does so if you tell it to do so by using config.scan(). You
are not obliged to do that, and I have several pyramid projects which do
not do any scanning. Not doing scanning has the advantage of making
configuration more explicit, and it speeds application startup immensely.

Scanning is needed if you want to mix configuration and code in one
place. That may not be the right model for everyone.

Wichert.