[Zope-dev] Version number policy if default values change

Patrick Gerken do3ccqrv at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:36:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

GenericSetup wasn't very good in handling non ascii chars on
exporting. I changed the behavior so that it will only dump strings to
files/zodb/tgzs and modified the provided exporters to default encode
text as utf-8. Since this breaks packages, I'd increase the minor
number from 1.6 to 1.7.
To get a plone system to work with these changes, I needed to update
Products.DCWorkflow, Products.PluggableAuthService and
Products.PluginRegistry.

Since in all these packages I only changed the default encoding from
None to utf-8 I wonder if this requires a higher minor number or not.
I'd say no, as anything that was just stored as ascii, would be
properly decoded as utf-8 too. So before I change the numbers and ask
for new release, I'd like to ask if anybody objects.

Best regards,

    Patrick