[Zope-dev] Supporting interworking with repository branches on github

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Wed Nov 23 06:58:19 UTC 2011

* Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> [2011-11-22 22:46]:
> On 11/22/2011 12:13 PM, Laurence Rowe wrote:
>> While the Zope Foundation deliberates on version control, I think
>> it's likely that development will continue using Git and Github.
>
> Please don't try to jump the gun on the process here [...]
> It is not appropriate for a small subset of the community to preempt
> this kind of choid: "ask forgiveness rather than permission" is *not*
> going to fly here, and trying to push harder only irritates folks you
> might otherwise persuade.

When reading the emails on this list about this topic, I get a strong
feeling of "us vs. them". Is that really necessary?

In that light, and trying to make visible the (positive!) aspects of the
different opinions, allow me to ask:

Tres, while I realize that you also rightly raise the formal issue that
a vocal minority shouldn't surge ahead and create facts, do I understand
you correctly that the main inherent[1] issue is a legal one, concerning
proper handling of copyright etc.? Could someone explain what's at stake
here, since at least I only have a vague feeling of "if something in
that area goes wrong, it could be really bad"?

Laurence, do I understand you correctly that your main concern is ease
of use for development and that decentralized version control would be
preferable to a centralized one? Do you feel unduly blocked by the need
to resolve these (rather tricky) legal issues? Might a technical
solution be of use until this is resolved (git can read/write svn, can't
it)?

Wolfgang

[1] Sorry, my English is failing me. I'm looking for a word that means,
as opposed to formal.