[Zope-dev] Supporting interworking with repository branches on github

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Nov 24 07:58:30 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 01:29 AM, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:50:49 -0500, Tres Seaver<tseaver at palladion.com>  wrote:
>> Second, it is already feasible to work with modern VCSes against the
>> existing SVN repository:  I've been doing it with bzr for literally years
>> now;  I know of lots of documentation on using git against SVN as well. Of
>> course, Github is more than a VCS, but its main advantage over other
>> solutions lies in being able to accept casual contributions from non-core
>> developers, which is hardly in scope for the early phases of the Zope4
>> effort.
> github enables a peer review process: while everybody who signed the
> plone committer agreement could just commit to the plone repo, we do
> pull-requests and somebody else with commit rights checks the request
> and merges.

We've never had a problem with peer review before. People review the
commit lists which receive all commits with full diffs and react if they
see something off. That is a very well working peer review system. I
don't see that improving with github; in fact I see it becoming worse:
commit emails no longer get diffs at all, and people are less likely to
look at a webinterface for a quick review than they are to take a quick
look at an email. The move from Plone to github certainly made me stop
all review work, where I reviewed all commits to core code before.

Wichert.