[Zope-dev] zope-tests - FAILED: 21, OK: 31

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon Oct 24 15:08:30 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 07:24 AM, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:58:09AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

>> Syntax errors due to Py3k compatibility changes in 'zope.schema'.
>> The "ZTK 1.1dev" checkouts pull in the trunk of 'zope.schema',
>> which is now backward-incompatible (it drops support for Python
>> 2.5).  I think we should be creating a '3.8' branch of
>> 'zope.schema' (copied from 3.8.1), and make the "ZTK 1.1dev"
>> checkout use that.
>
> Thanks for fixing these. I didn't realize that the buildouts would
> break because of my change. I should have though.
>
> (I've also given up looking at the buildout perma-failures a long
> time ago)

We should probably look at *all* '/trunk' dependencies in the ZTK as
future sources of such problems:  people working on trunk development
know that the released ZTK pins versions, but may not realize that the
'-dev' checkouts are possibly affected.

Preemptively switching ZTK dev checkouts to use only release branches
would make that problem go away, but at the cost of requiring
bugfix-only changes to be backported:  today, in many packages, the
trunk remains identical to a "release branch" for a long time.

Rather than such a drastic step, I think we need to adopt a new policy
that the developer who makes the first "non-bugfix" change to the
trunk (i.e., adding a new feature or dependency, a
backward-incompatibility, or dropping support for a Python version) is
also responsible for finding an fixing any ZTK breakage (e.g., by
creating the release branch and changing the ZTK configuration to use it).

>>> [21]   FAILED  winbot / ztk_dev py_254_win32
>>> https://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-tests/2011-October/051382.html

This is the same Python 2.5 incompatibility problem which afflicts #7.

> This is a tricky issue, there are 2 parts:
>
> * Supporting python 2.5 in zope.schema is not hard, but will make
> the code quite ugly (no class decorator for implements) * I'm not
> sure if the next version of the ZTK will need to support Python
> 2.5
>
> So there seem to be 3 options to fix this buildout issue:
>
> 1. Point the ZTK trunk at the zope.schema 3.8 branch 2. Make the
> zope.schema code uglier and support 2.5 3. Declare that the next
> ZTK version drops support for 2.5 and stop the buildbot for Python
> 2.5 + ZTK trunk
>
> I'm partial to option 1 to get the buildbot working and defer the
> Python 2.5/ugly code decision to later.

I also prefer that we drop 2.5 compatibility on the ZTK trunk.  The
2.5.6 release page says[1]:

  This release is most likely the final release of Python 2.5; under
  the current release policy, no security issues in Python 2.5 will be
  fixed after October, 2011.

[1] http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.6/

Tres.
- --