[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposal for merging jbohman-zope.registry branch of zope.component

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Sep 1 12:28:09 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 09:22 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> > - zope.testing (for addCleanUp of the global registry in
> >  z.c.globalregistry and other places)
>
> This particular detail should simply be cleaned up by
> moving these calls into tests module.

This is in zope.component.globalregistry at module scope:

    base = BaseGlobalComponents('base')

    try:
        from zope.testing.cleanup import addCleanUp
    except ImportError:
        pass
    else:
        addCleanUp(lambda: base.__init__('base'))
        del addCleanUp

I didn't see that the registration was conditional on the presence of
zope.testing last night, but if I understand the intent correctly, it's
to ensure that importing z.component at all will add a cleanup callback
to zope.testing such that z.testing.cleanUp() will wipe the global
registry state.  Lots of existing tests will break if this isn't done,
so I'm not sure that moving it into a place where it isn't executed as a
side effect is feasible?

- C