[Zope-dev] RFC: Proposal for merging jbohman-zope.registry branch of zope.component

Wolfgang Schnerring ws at gocept.com
Tue Sep 6 05:50:17 EST 2011

* Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> [2011-09-01 04:27]:
> It wouldn't be the end of the world to have the global registry and the
> global API live in zope.registry, but it doesn't help Pyramid for it to
> be in there, and it probably wouldn't help anyone else either.  The
> global API (which includes getSiteManager) is really just a convenience
> feature, and splitting that global API across more than one package
> doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I guess this is the central issue where we have different opinions.
I don't consider those "just convenience", but rather concept-bearing
of their on right.

> It might make sense for the entire global API to be in zope.registry,
> but if you take "global API" to mean what it does now that implies
> dependencies on at least:
>
> - zope.event (zope.component.event.dispatch)
> - zope.testing (for addCleanUp of the global registry in
>   z.c.globalregistry and other places)

Yep, those two would be necessary.

> It also implies conditional dependencies on zope.security (in
> z.c.hooks.setSite, and other places), which are even now pretty nasty.

But I don't see where that would come from. As far as I understand it,
hooks.setSite wouldn't be in zope.registry.

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Schnerring · ws at gocept.com · software development
http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 219401 0 · fax +49 345 1229889 1