[Zope-dev] Adding broken/missing support to zope.interface?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Mon Apr 9 21:54:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Persistent component registries are not a good enough reason to add such
> coupling (I'd be in favor of splitting support for persistent registries
> out of zope.component, too, while we're at it).
>
> Let's put the "broken" support into code which depends on
> zope.interface, zope.component, and the ZODB, and invert the dependency
> by having the new code install something into the base code which
> provides the desired support:  the only change to zope.interface should
> be documenting the insertion point, and testing that it does the right
> thing when a dummy is plugged into it.

I looked at the possible contenders for that dependency description.
The ZODB depends on zope.interface itself, though not on
zope.component.

zope.container is the one that has the most minimal dependencies,
while still relying on zope.component and the ZODB.

zope.site depends on zope.container, but given its scope sounds like
the better place to me. I vaguely remember us discussing to move
persistent registries into zope.site at some point. Since we moved
zope.site.hooks into zope.component, zope.site doesn't have much else
to do anymore.

Apart from those two, there's a whole lot more that have far more
dependencies or are unrelated in scope, like zope.annotation or
zope.catalog.

Hanno