[Zope-dev] zc.buildout semi-resolution

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Mon Aug 20 15:34:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

FWIW I spoke with Jim on #buildout this a.m. and he decided to revert
my commit "because people need it". I.e. Some folks rely on
trunk/bootstrap existing for their builds. While I don't necessarily
agree that's a good idea, the argument "because people need it" makes
1000x more sense to me than "Please revert" with no explanation. Or
with a legal explanation I don't understand. I apologize to Jens and
Tres if I was stubborn about this, but I did and still do feel strongly
the commit I made was reasonable, and not reverting it until we could
better understand the circumstances was reasonable too.

To clear up any remaining confusion:

- In the Plone community, it is quite common to make this type of
change to indicate active development takes place somewhere else. We
leave tags (and branches) in place in case people need them. I did not
remove, or move the zc.buildout project, nor did I intend to disrupt
development in any way. I simply wanted to "leave a message" on behalf
of the work Jim and Domen were doing.

- Personally, I use an extension called "buildout.bootstrap" to always
download the latest bootstrap.py file. Removing trunk broke my builds,
at which point I cut a new release of buildout.bootstrap containing the
new URL:

    - http://pypi.python.org/pypi/buildout.bootstrap/1.4.2

I hope the discussion on GitHub and Bitbucket, and other vendor
services continues.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com